top of page
  • 1. What are the entrance requirements?
    Adult Students: You need to be at least 17 years and 10 months before enrolling in the Adult Division. If you are a new student, you must take an assessment test to determine your skills in reading and writing. If you have previously taken the test at another adult school, you can bring your TABE test results and you don’t need to retake the test. ​ Even if you only need math classes, you still need to take the reading assessment test. We need to be certain you have the reading skills necessary to succeed. You may return to get the results the following Monday. The counselor will then help you determine what courses you need to take. Bring your high school transcripts when you return. If you need additional preparatory skills we have classes in basic reading, writing and math in our Adult Basic Education (ABE) program. ​ Concurrent High School Student: If you are a senior high school student and need to make up required credits, you must see your high school counselor and complete a CONCURRENT STUDENT ENROLLMENT PERMIT, then take the assessment tests.
  • 2. How much does it cost?
    All ESL and high school diploma classes are free!
  • 3. How long will it take me to get a diploma or high school equivalency, and when can I start?"
    Most people take at least a year and half to get ready for the high school equivalency test or to complete their requirements for a high school diploma. However, it depends on a lot of factors: your assessment scores, the time you have available to come to school, the classes completed according to your transcripts, the availability of classes. There are three options to choose from to earn your diploma. ​ Option 1: Completing 170 credits or ​ Option 2: Completing 50 credits, passing the English high school equivalency exam, or ​ Option 3: Completing 70 selected credits, passing the Spanish high school equivalency exam. Our counselors will help you determine which option is right for you. Most of our classes are open enrollment. As long as space is available, you can start at any time. However, teacher-directed classes are managed enrollment, so you must start at the beginning of the trimester. (Please refer to question #11 for teacher-directed classes).
  • 4. What if I have a diploma from another country?
    Credits previously earned at any accredited secondary or foreign school equivalent to high school level may be accepted. A counselor will evaluate your transcripts and advise you what courses you need to take. However, the first step is to take the reading and writing assessment tests. Bring your high school transcripts at the time of registration. ​
  • 5. I only finished 9th grade in high school, how can I get my diploma fast?"
    You would use option as of passing one of the high school equivalency tests (GED, HiSET, or TASC); complete 50 credits. A counselor will evaluate your transcripts and advise you if this is a good option for you.
  • 6. I am only interested in getting a GED, what should I do?"
    In 2013, the California State Department of Education, along with many other states, decided to find alternative tests to award a High School Equivalency Certificate. In March of 2014, the decision was made to allow 3 tests: ​ 1. General Education Development (GED) Test 2. High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) 3. Testing Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) If you are interested in taking the official GED test, please visit To prepare for one of these exams, you need to take the assessment test and our counselor will give you advice. Your reading, writing and math assessments will determine how many classes you may need to take to prepare for any of these tests.
  • 7. Is there student parking?
    We have student parking at the Hollywood campus, but NOT at the Evans campus. At Evans, students must use street parking only or the Orsini apartments parking adjacent to Evans for $6.00 a day or $100.00 per month.
  • 8. What is the schedule of classes?
    EVANS CAMPUS: ​ MORNING (Monday-Friday) 8:00 am to 10:00 pm 10:15 am to 12:15 pm ​ AFTERNOON (Monday-Friday) 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm 3:15 pm to 5:45 pm (M-Th) ​ EVENING (Monday-Thursday) 6:00 pm to 8:45 pm ​ HOLLYWOOD CAMPUS: ​ AFTERNOON (Monday-Thursday) ​3:30 pm to 5:30 pm ​ EVENING (Monday-Thursday) 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
  • 9. What is the Assessment Test Schedule?
    EVANS CAMPUS: Thursday, 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. ​ Hollywood High School Campus: Tuesday, 3:30 p.m. and Wednesday 5:30 p.m.
  • 10. What is Accelerated College and Career Transition (AC2T) program and how does it work?
    AC2T is an independent study program that provides at risk and dropped out students with an alternative way to earn a high school diploma. Students are assigned courses and coursework based on transcript evaluation and demonstrated competencies. Students are responsible for meeting with teachers and completing required course work. Students complete the majority of their coursework independently and have access to the AC2T study centers when they need assistance. Work is submitted as scheduled by the teacher. Students must make adequate academic progress to remain in the program. Our AC2T program location is: Bancroft Middle School (Entrance on Romaine Street) M – F, 8:00 am to 12 noon 929 N. Las Palmas Avenue., Los Angeles, CA 90038 (323) 871-8957 ​​ Note: Please see your high school counselor before leaving your current high school.
  • 11. Do you have teacher-directed classes?
    We have teacher directed classes at the Evans campus – English, Math, Health and Social Studies. However, most of our classes are delivered in the Individualized Instruction Lab (I.I. Lab), which is a multilevel multi-subject classroom where students study at their own pace. This allows our students to go as fast as they can or as slow as they need. It also offers the flexibility that most adult students required. Labs have an instructor and a teacher assistant to help students move forward on their studies. However, our High School Diploma program at Evans usually offers several teacher-directed classes in each trimester. The availability of these classes depends on budget and enrollment. ​ FALL ​ English 1 and 2 Math 2 and 3 U.S. History 1 WINTER ​ English 3 and 4 Math 3/Algebra 1A U.S. History 2 Health ​ SPRING ​ English Comp./Expository Algebra 1A/1B U.S. Government ​ These are rigorous classes which prepare you for college or your future career. Students who would like to take these classes need to dedicate time to attend class regularly and complete homework and assessments on time.
bottom of page